While there is existing guidance on emergency planning and business continuity for airport operation, the recent storms to hit the gulf and eastern coasts have presented different challenges in airport operations. The project would pull lessons learned from airports effected by the damages of the storms as well as external factors that may not be under airport control. examples:
- Loss of NAVIADS
- The airport has power and is in the dry, but the rest of the area is not.
- How to recover costs associated with the event. i.e. ground equipment support for military operations.
- Logistics involved with added military support personnel i.e. porta-potties, solid waste removal, maintaining access controls, etc
- Handling community donations
- Getting fuel for the increased demand
- airport operation coordination with external resources